Instagram infographic solves war in Ukraine | Foolegian

Foolegian, Satire

White Savior, Complex

Header Image: Vectordiary.com

There has been an ongoing conflict between Russia and Ukraine since 2014, but the conflict certainly escalated on February 24 when Russia invaded Ukraine. President Putin’s goal was to “demilitarize and de-Nazify Ukraine,” and originally Putin explained that “it is not our plan to occupy the Ukrainian territory. We do not intend to impose anything on anyone by force.” However, this narrative has changed since, as over 2 million Ukrainians have fled their homes to escape Russian military violence. But, this conflict has begun to improve because of the overwhelming amount of infographics being posted on Instagram. Hundreds of thousands of infographics began popping up on self-help blogs, influencer’s pages and businesses who came out in support of Ukraine.

Dictionary.com defines an infographic as “a visual presentation of information in the form of a chart, graph or other image accompanied by minimal text, intended to give an easily understood overview, often of a complex subject.” The infographic was created to help visualize data in an accessible way for the masses. William Playfair is credited as the first infographic creator, even if the term infographic was not created yet. However, in our modern context, oftentimes infographics are shared on Instagram via posts or stories. The infographic hashtag has 831k posts on Instagram. Infographics rose in popularity during the Black Lives Matter Movement in 2020 and have been applied to pretty much every political and social movement since then — including the Russia-Ukraine war.

Pintrest

Infographics can be used to get more engagement by using eye-catching headlines, high-quality images, relevant slogans and understandable vocabulary. In addition to creating more traction for your posts and profile, posting infographics also has social benefits. Posting infographics can make a creators’ followers think they are #woke. Being woke is being alert to injustice in society. Wokeness is something praised in this day and age more than ever, and for good reason, if woke infographics can solve major world conflicts.

An infographic titled “What is really going on in Ukraine and how you can help” in bubble letters written in blue and yellow has been all over social media feeds. The creator of this infographic explains that the infographic was easy to create using Canva and reliable sites like Wikipedia, NewsPunch and Facebook to gather information about the war. The creator says, “I am so excited that my social media activism has made such an impact. I usually post around 17 infographics a week, but this is the first time one of the infographics I have posted had such an impact.” 

This infographic landed on Putin’s Instagram explore page and now he has been motivated to improve relations with Ukraine by sliding into Ukraine leader, President Volodymyr Zelenskyy’s, DMs. The two discussed the issues back and forth and ultimately decided that it was in both nations’ best interests to settle their differences, all because of an infographic, when Putin sent Zelenskyy a message that said “I think we could settle this issue without violence :).”

Canva