Kylie McGovern, Editor
via La Salle University
La Salle students began coming back to campus for the spring semester on Saturday Jan. 15. But a lot goes on during the winter break both at La Salle University and in the City of Philadelphia. So, here is a roundup of what you might have missed while away on break.
- La Salle University hosted the winter open house on Monday, Jan. 16, 2023 at 9:30 AM until 2:00 PM. The event was for high school prospective students and transfer students. The open house consisted of an opening session, admission and financial aid information, academic sessions, campus tours, and lunch. Following the Open House, visitors were invited to the Men’s Basketball Game against Saint Joseph’s University.
- Students at La Salle celebrated Martin Luther King day on campus and off campus on Jan. 16. UMASS hosted NETWORK which is a lobbying group composed of nuns to discuss radical love and social justice training. Basketball teams, swimming teams and track and field teams visited local Logan elementary school for a day of service to honor the memory and impact of Dr. King.
- Classes began on Tuesday Jan. 17 kicking off the spring semester. Feb. 3 is the last day to file a pass/fail option for spring full semester classes.
- The MacCready Family Foundation donated $100,000 to the University’s Department of Psychology and its clinical psychology program. This grant will go towards serving mental health needs in the area around La Salle University.
- On Jan. 21, the Philadelphia Eagles advanced in the playoffs after victory against the New York Giants. Late Night La Salle hosted a viewing of the game and a spirit of brotherly love entered the campus.
- A new semester is the time to get involved on campus. La Salle’s recreation center hosted intramural basketball registration on Jan. 23rd. In addition to recreation, the involvement fair will be held on Jan. 26 from 12:00 pm until 2:00 pm. The involvement fair is an opportunity for students to receive information about clubs on campus as well as employment opportunities. In addition, panhellenic recruitment begins on Feb. 2.
- Wellness Wednesdays return again this semester. Public Health Capstone Students will host a game of Wheel of Consent to teach students about the importance of gaining consent. In addition, the Public Health Capstone students will discuss racial stressors and how to overcome these stressors from 1:00 PM until 2:00 PM in the Union Lobby.
Editor’s Note: These are just a few of the happenings over winter break at the beginning of the semester. If you are interested in the La Salle Collegian highlighting your organization’s events in a News story or press please contact email@example.com. Best of luck during this semester, Explorers.