SGA News Brief: Elections

News

News brief provided by Keri Marable on behalf of La Salle Students’ Government Association 

Header Image: La Salle SGA

This October, the Students’ Government Association (SGA) will run elections for the elected representative positions. These positions can vote on issues during SGA meetings. These positions include all senator positions and the executive board.

SGA is the official representative of the student body to the administration. One of three students’ governing bodies on campus, SGA advocates for a better student experience on campus, as well as hosts fundraisers and events. They consider any full-time student at La Salle as a member of SGA and welcome anyone to join them at their general assembly meetings on Tuesdays at 9 p.m.

The e-board positions president and vice president require that a student have been a part of the SGA e-Board for at least one year. The other elected e-board positions are only available to those who have been a member of SGA for a year. The only e-board position open to anyone without experience in SGA is the Director of Diversity Equity and Inclusion, which is appointed via application.

Election voting for the elected e-board positions is Oct. 22 from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. The e-board positions currently up for election include student body president, vice president, secretary of academic affairs, secretary of public affairs, chief of staff and deputy chief of staff.

SGA considers the Student Body president as the Chair of the Executive Board and appoints senators to committees. The president is also the tie-breaking vote in the senate. They attend University Council and various Board of Trustees meetings as well as stay informed on activities within SGA and on campus. They employ an appointed chief of staff and visual direct line of communication between the president and administration. The president also delegates and supports e-board, senate and members of the student body.

The Student Body vice president works closely with the president. They attend relevant meetings together and the vice president assumes presidential duties when needed. They also prepare a calendar and budget with the secretary of Business affairs. The vice president also employs an appointed deputy chief of staff. They are the chair of general meetings and creator of general meetings PowerPoint slides.

The secretary of academic affairs attends academic curriculum-based meetings and committees to take notes and report back to SGA. They support and collaborate with the College Senators and their initiatives within their prospective colleges. They act as the liaison between the students/SGA and the academic program leadership as well as working directly with the provost.

The secretary of Business Affairs manages the budget with frugality by controlling all incoming and outgoing cash flows. They promote any fundraising ideas/programs approved by the e-board. They also utilize all resources available and gather, secure and re-distributes any funds brought in via these fundraising methods. They create funding proposals for all events that SGA holds that require a cash outlay in any capacity to be sent to the funding board for review as completed. The secretary of Business Affairs also sits on the funding board committee and submits a new budget proposal for SGA at the end of the academic year for SGA 2022-23.

The secretary of public affairs manages all social media platforms, including **Instagram @lasallesga, Twitter @lasallesga and TikTok @lasallestudentgov. They provide a visual display of SGA initiatives on campus and frontline communication online between the student body and SGA. *A demanding role

The chief of staff attends and takes e-board meeting minutes and attends any relevant meetings when asked. They work closely with the president, including on any initiatives they ran on. They also continue in their duties as a senator/representative.

The deputy chief of staff attends executive board meetings and any relevant meetings when asked. They also take general meeting minutes and handle attendance to be sent to the advisor. The deputy chief of staff works closely with the vice president, including any initiatives he/she/they ran on. They also continue in their duties as a senator/representative.

The required qualifications for president and vice president include having a GPA equal to or greater than a 2.75 and must have served on e-board for a year. The required qualifications for the other e-board positions include having a GPA equal to or greater than 2.75 and must have participated in SGA for at least one year. ALL Elected e-board Positions must not be on disciplinary probation, form a petition (50 signatures) due on Oct. 18 and be a full-time student.

For more information on what must be done for elected e-board positions, please contact Isabelle Pope at popei1@lasalle.edu.

Another position students can run for is Class Senator. Any full-time student can run as a class senator. Election Voting for class senators is Oct. 29 from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m.

Class Senators vote on bills, legislation, money allocations and various other items at General Assembly meetings. They represent and advocate for the ideas and needs of their respective class and are chosen by election. The required qualifications for Class Senators include having a GPA equal to or greater than 2.50, must not be on disciplinary probation, form a petition (25 signatures) due Oct. 25 and be a full-time student.

SGA also has two other voting representative positions available by application only. One of these includes the College Senators, who represent each one of the colleges on campus.

Applications will be made active on October 1. The deadline for these applications is Oct. 22 at 6 p.m. The College Senators represent each of the colleges at La Salle (Arts and Sciences, Business and Nursing and Health Sciences) as well as advocate for problems and ideas for certain colleges rather than class. They are voting members chosen by application.

College Senator requirements for qualification include having a GPA equal to or greater than 2.50 and must not be on disciplinary probation. College Senators must submit the application found on SGA’s instagram on Google Forms by Oct. 22 at 6 p.m.

The other position accepted via application is the Executive Board’s Director for Diversity, Equality, and Inclusion who works to make the campus more inclusive for our diverse student population. Applications will be made active on Oct. 1. The deadline for these applications is Oct. 22 at 6 p.m.

The Director of Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion works closely with the heads of the Multicultural center in promoting events and addressing societal microaggressions. They create a small task force of members of the student body to address cultural differences and injustices that need to be brought to attention. They also promote voter engagement amongst eligible students, currently an 85 percent voter registration, highest in Philadelphia. The Director of D.E.I fully utilizes La Salle’s diverse culture and helps to foster a more comforting home for students of ALL races, ethnicities, gender identities and orientations, abilities, religions, socioeconomic status, etc.

The required qualifications include having a GPA equal to or greater than 2.75. *Students of historically marginalized identity are encouraged to apply* Candidates must submit the application found on the SGA’s Instagram on Google Forms by Oct. 22 at 6 p.m.

If you have any additional questions, please contact Kyra Spoto, the Election Committee Chair, at spotok@lasalle.edu or Isabelle Pope, the SGA president, at popei1@lasalle.edu.

Be sure to follow SGA on all social media to keep updated with the election process as well as future events and meetings for SGA.