La Salle releases security and fire safety report

News

Alina Snopkowski, Editor

On Friday, Oct. 1, La Salle University’s Department of Public Safety released its annual Security and Fire Safety Report through an email to the university. The entire 2021 report is available here and contains information on a variety of crimes that were reported from 2018-2020, as well as information on policies and procedures relating to reporting crimes.

According to the email sent by Public Safety, “La Salle University is committed to the safety of its students, faculty, staff, and visitors” and the report “contains information regarding campus security, personal and fire safety, crime prevention, crime reporting policies, and other policy matters relating to security on campus.”

If you don’t have time to read the entire 115-page report, here’s a summary of some of the major events, policies and statistics.

The report begins with the university’s mission and core values statements. It then continues with information on the public safety program, how to report criminal offenses or emergencies and how to describe people to public safety or emergency responders. It is also possible to report incidents confidentially through “the  Student Counseling Center; the Student Health Center, ordained priests in Ministry, Service, and Support; a designated Coordinator for Sexual Misconduct Advocacy & Education (Confidential Resource); and a designated Respondent Advocate (Confidential Resource). Reports can also be made via the mylasalle portal (search “Incident Reporting” and choose Standard Incident Report). Report violations of the sexual misconduct policy via the mylasalle portal (search “Incident Reporting” and choose “Report of Sexual Misconduct”).”

There are also sections that define the terms used throughout the report, including explanations of what is classified as a residence hall, who is technically a “University official” and the difference between guests and visitors.

Large portions of the report contain information on university policies relating to topics such as protecting minors, alcohol, drugs and weapons. There is also a section about sexual assault prevention, reporting, investigation, response and resources.

Reported fires for the years 2018 – 2020 and information on fire safety and evacuation procedures and are featured on pages 93 – 95. There were no reported fires in residence halls for the years 2020 and 2018, but four reported fires in 2019 — an electrical fire that took place in St. Basil Court, another electrical fire in the St. Miguel Townhouses, an accidental cooking fire that also took place in St. Miguel, and a stove fire in the La Salle Apartments.

Pages 96 – 101 include tables of reported crimes on Main Campus, Bucks Campus, and Montgomery Campus. For the time period in the report, there were no reported crimes, arrests or disciplinary referrals at the Bucks or Montgomery campuses.

Here is the table of Clery Crime Statistics for 2018 – 2020 at Main Campus.

It is important to understand that the category “Residence Halls” is a subset of “On Campus;” for example, the case of aggravated assault that occurred in 2018 is reported in both the “on campus” and “residence halls” sections, and the one “residence halls” burglary is included in the four “on campus” burglaries, so there were four in 2020, not five.

After these tables, the rest of the report is devoted to student and employee populations, crime rates, more definitions of terms and offenses and concludes with a directory of important phone numbers.

Anyone who has questions about the information in the report is encouraged to contact either Assistant Vice President of Public Safety Amanda Guthorn, D.A., or Eva Howard, Director of Public Safety Compliance and Investigations.