Review: “Hawkeye” Season One

Arts & Entertainment

Greg Shannon, Staff

“Hawkeye” is Marvel’s latest foray into serial streaming entertainmentBeing the fourth TV installment for the franchise, it’s exciting to see how Marvel handles a series with this unique kind of superhero. Previously, we dealt with the wacky time gods in “Loki,” an existential crisis in “WandaVision” and the two half mechanical dudebros of America in “The Falcon and the Winter Soldier.” Unlike these series with super-powered main characters, “Hawkeye” features a character with only a bow and arrow as his powers. This setup makes for an interesting series for the character. With all that being said, here are my thoughts on season one of the latest Marvel series “Hawkeye.” 

Despite the show being titled “Hawkeye,” Clint Barton, played by Jeremy Renner (“The Hurt Locker,” “Wand River,”) does not feel like the main character of this show. That role goes to Kate Bishop, played by Hailee Steinfeld (“Pitch Perfect 3,” “Bumblebee,”) since this show serves more as an origin story for her. While it’s extremely funny that Hawkeye has the most Hawkeye things happen to him, they do a really good job with making him the secondary protagonist in this show.. Out of all of these shows, I think Hawkeye handles the double-protagonist trope the best. The series did a good job balancing their screen time and building their relationship, with Barton’s cold and lone wolf personality worked well with the somewhat witty personality of Bishop. Seeing the chemistry between them slowly build only made the ending of the show more satisfying. 

Marvel Studios

Then there’s the pacing of the show. The show’s first two episodes reintroduce the world and set the characters that we have for the show. Then once episode three pops up, everything is kicked up a notch. The fight scenes, the dialogue moments and even the surprise guest characters make the next four episodes extremely fun to watch. One of the best parts of the season was the abundance of trick arrows that they were able to come up with and use against their enemies as well, from the somewhat simple ones used in episode three, the exploding arrows, to the more crazy ones in episode six, like a magnet arrow strong enough to take guns out of people’s hands. It felt like the creators had a bunch of fun with this show and these scenes show just how creative they were allowed to be. 

If I had to pick anything that I didn’t like as much, it would be that, at times, the main antagonists were a bit annoying. While they had some pretty funny moments and some pretty cool members, there were only so many times I could hear a Russian man say “bro” before it started to get annoying. The henchmen were fun and gave us pretty good comedic moments, but sadly there were just some times where it felt like it was just a bit too much. 

Marvel Studios

Honestly, it was surprising how good the show turned out to be. When I saw the first two episodes I was pretty critical of them. I saw that the show had potential, but I didn’t think I would surpass “Falcon and the Winter Soldier.” However, this show turned out to be more than what I originally thought it was going to be. The simplicity of this series is really what gave it its signature charm. It took what makes Hawkeye likable and amped it up. Plus, the few character surprises that were added to the show get me even more excited to see where Marvel goes in the future. All in all, I would say this show is a solid 7.5/10 and I would recommend that you give it a watch.