What’s Trending? — September 15, 2021

Arts & Entertainment

Jeriann Tripodi, Editor

Welcome to the wonderful world of entertainment. The following news includes highlights of celebrities, television, movies and music this week.

Britney Spears is engaged

On September 12, pop singer Britney Spears took to Instagram to announce that she and longtime boyfriend Sam Asghari are engaged. In a video with her partner, the couple smiled as Spears showed off the large rock on her hand. Asghari also took to his Instagram page to share the news. He posted a photo of the pair kissing while Spears holds up her ring finger sporting the large diamond.

PinkNews

Jennifer Lopez and Ben Affleck make red carpet debut

Pop singer Jennifer Lopez and actor Ben Affleck attended the 78th Venice International Film Festival as a couple. Celebrating the premiere of Affleck’s latest film, “The Last Duel,” the pair walked the red carpet together for the first time since rekindling their romance after splitting 17 years ago. The affectionate duo impressed the crowd with their public display of affection as they kissed and held hands for the camera.

TMZ

Former “Blue’s Clues” host surprises fans for show’s 25th anniversary

The hit Nickelodeon series “Blue’s Clues” recently celebrated 25 years since its first episode aired. In honor of this occasion, the original host, Steve Burns, shared a personalized message to his millennial fans who watched the educational program during their early childhood. In this heartwarming and emotional video, the now 47-year-old shared memories from the show and expressed how he and his viewers accomplished great things through the years.

AllToLearn-Blog

Activists are angered by new show “The Activist”

CBS’s new series “The Activist” has not aired yet, and people are already hating it. According to Deadline, the competition reality show will feature aspiring activists who will face off in social media challenges in order to promote their world cause and “amplify their message.” Twitter users have voiced their anger, including real activists. One viral tweet from actress and activist Jameela Jamil mentioned that the money to make this show should go “directly to activist causes” instead.

CBS

“Shang-Chi” tops the box office

Disney and Marvel Studio’s “Shang-Chi and The Legend of the Ten Rings” topped the box office for the second weekend in a row. Making $35.8 million in the United States this past weekend, the action/adventure film has crossed the $250 million mark, according to Yahoo News. Starring Simu Liu, this PG-13 rated superhero film is the first Marvel film to feature an Asian-American main character and have a predominantly Asian and Asian-American cast.

IMDb

Number one on the Billboard charts: week of September 15, 2021

According to “The Hot 100” on the charts, the number one song in the U.S. is “Butter” by BTS. Moving up, this is the seventh week the pop song is on the charts. According to the “Billboard 200,” the number one album in the U.S. is “Donda” by Kanye West. The hip-hop and gospel album is at the top spot during its first week on the charts.

Billboard