What’s Trending — Feb. 17, 2021

Arts & Entertainment

Jeriann Tripodi, Staff

Header Image: Film Daily

Nicki Minaj’s father killed after hit and run accident

TMZ

On Feb. 12, rap singer Nicki Minaj’s father, Robert Maraj, passed away from his injuries at a New York hospital after being hit by a driver while attempting to cross a street. According to police, the driver sped off and witnesses were unable to get a clear description of the vehicle. Minaj has yet to speak publicly on the matter, but her representative did confirm the 64-year-old’s death.

Judge rules in case involving conservatorship over Britney Spears’s estate

TMZ

Los Angeles Superior Court Judge Brenda Penny ruled that Jamie Spears is to serve as co-conservator with Bessemer Trust over Britney Spears’s estate. The pop singer previously filed for her father’s removal as sole conservator, and has petitioned that a professional financial institution fully takes over her estate. At prior hearings, Spears’s attorney, Samuel D. Ingham III, has argued that his client was “afraid” of her father.

Paris Hilton testifies that she was abused at teen treatment facility

NBC News

Media personality and heiress to the Hilton hotel company, Paris Hilton urged Utah lawmakers to pass a law that will protect teenagers in treatment facilities. At the committee hearing, Hilton spoke about the physical, emotional, mental and even sexual abuse she endured while staying at these facilities as a teenager. One of these facilities was Provo Canyon School, located in Utah, where the now 39-year-old stayed at when she was 16.

Ellen DeGeneres spotted looking sad after getting stood up by mystery person

DailyMail

Daytime talk-show host Ellen DeGeneres was seen by herself at a shopping center in Montecito. According to DailyMail, the 63-year-old looked depressed as she scanned the parking lot before taking out her phone. An onlooker then overheard DeGeneres speaking into her iPhone, “ah okay, okay, another time then, no, no problem,” before walking several blocks to her Porsche Panamera.

“iCarly” arrives to Netflix and immediately reaches top 10

Tvtropes

Seasons one and two of the hit Nickelodeon series, “iCarly,” became available to Netflix on Feb. 8. Within a day of it’s release, “iCarly” reached the top 10 list on Netflix. By Wednesday, the teen sitcom landed at the number two spot. This release comes ahead of a revival of the show, which will be made available to ViacomCBS’ Paramount+. According to Newsweek, most of the main stars will return, such as Miranda Cosgrove, Nathan Kress and Jerry Trainor; however, Jennette McCurdy will not appear in the “iCarly” reboot.

“Sonic the Hedgehog 2” gets an official release date

In a teaser trailer, Paramount has announced that the “Sonic” movie sequel will officially be titled “Sonic the Hedgehog 2” and will arrive to theaters on April 8, 2022. The official Twitter page for “Sonic the Hedgehog” also posted the trailer teaser and stated in the caption, “Groundbreaking. Thought provoking. Extremely obvious. Presenting the official title of the #SonicMovie sequel: Sonic the Hedgehog 2! Catch #SonicMovie2 in theatres in 2022.” According to the film’s logo, Sonic’s friend, Tails, will be in the sequel.

Number one on the Billboard charts: week of Feb. 17, 2021

Billboard

According to “The Hot 100” on the charts, the number one song in the U.S. is “Drivers License” by Olivia Rodrigo. This is the fourth week the pop song is number one on the charts. According to the “Billboard 200,” the number one album in the U.S. is “Dangerous: The Double Album” by Morgan Wallen. The country album is at the top spot for the fifth week straight.